BARBOURVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT

 

HISTORICAL TIMELINE

1904

Queen City Hotel Burned (Established in 1888)

1905

Anderson Hotel Burned

1906

Eve Hotel Burned (Established in 1845)

1909

Barbourville Battalion of the Kentucky Fire Brigade was organized. George Mike Golden was appointed Battalion Chief.

1910

City Council passed an ordinance forbidding wooden structures on the Court Square

Fire Battalion "saves" W.F. Costello home on Manchester Street

1912

Union College men's dormitory burned

J.D. Faulkner house fire

1913

Joe Hopper's General Store, Manchester Street, burned

1924

National Theatre burned

1929

BARBOURVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT was organized. The City Council appointed Bert Churchill to the position of Fire Chief.

First motorized fire truck was ordered from American LaFrance

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 40.2 feet)

1930

Barbourville Fire Department received 16 hour hands-on Fire Brigade Training Course from State Fire Marshall's Office

Pennington Brothers Store, Court Square, burned

1931

S.H. Jones residence, North Main Street, burned

Baptist Church, North Main Street, burned

1932

Barbourville Fire Department located at National Theatre building

1933

Topper Store, Court Square, burned

1938

National Theatre building burned

Barbourville Fire Department relocated to City Hall on Liberty Street near the river

1946

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 42.8 feet)

1947

Kidd Brothers Market, Court Square, burned

1951

1929 American LaFrance pumper was retired and sold

Purchased 1951 Ford/Oren pumper (designated Truck #1)

Speedway Cleaners, Hwy. 25E, burned

1952

Deluxe Laundry, Hwy. 25E, burned

1953

Purchased 1953 Chevrolet/Central pumper (designated Truck #2)

1954

Viall Lumber Company, Artemus Road, burned

Courtesy Cleaners burned

1957

Barbourville City School burned

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 40.2 feet)

1958

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 42.3 feet)

1959

Cole & Hughes Hardware / R.E. Williams 5&10, Court Square, burned

1960

Hutton Motor Company, Cumberland Avenue, burned

1961

Chief Bert Churchill retired; R.L. "Bally" Baker was appointed Fire Chief

Artemus School burned

First Baptist Church, Pineville, burned (Mutual Aid to Pineville FD)

1962

Mitchell Apartments burned

1963

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 41.4 feet)

1968

Purchased used red Chevrolet equipment van (designated Truck #3)

1970

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 42.3 feet)

1971

Truck #3 replaced with new white Chevrolet panel van

E.K. Wood Products burned

Chief R.L. Baker resigned; Smith Carroll was appointed Fire Chief

New fire station was constructed on Daniel Boone Drive adjacent to Municipal Building

1972

Lawson Furniture Factory burned

Old City Hall building burned

New Bethel School burned

Purchased Ford/John Bean Pumper (designated Truck #4)

1973

Two major floods on the Cumberland River (crested at 39.3 feet & 42.6 feet)

1974

Purchased Ford/John Bean Pumper (designated Truck #5)

Dishman Springs Clubhouse burned

D & C Auto Parts, North Main Street, burned

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 38.6 feet)

1975

John Tom King's residence burned

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 41.7 feet)

1976

Marshall Lumber Company burned

1977

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 45.9 feet) Largest flood in recorded history...Firemen and others sandbagged the floodwall

1978

Smith's Cabinet Shop burned

Two Cumberland River floods (crested at 34.0 feet & 31.8 feet)

1979

Gillard's Department Store, Pineville, burned (Mutual Aid to Pineville FD)

1980

Explosion at Universal Auto Parts

Treadway Brothers Lumber Company, North Main Street, burned

Major flooding on the Cumberland River

1981

Lawson Furniture Company storage building burned

1982

Cora Sears Apartments, North Main Street, burned

1983

Chief Smith Carroll died while working at a fire scene at Whitesburg Hollow; Assistant Chief Jim Tye was appointed Fire Chief

1984

Mitchell Theatre and Apartments, Liberty Street, destroyed by fire

Hinkle Auto Parts, Cumberland Avenue, burned

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (crested at 40.8 feet)

1986

Businesses on Court Square in Pineville burned (Mutual Aid to Pineville FD)

1987

Knox County Supply hay barn, Jail Street, destroyed by fire

Barbourville Firemens' Club borrowed money to purchase two truck chassis for building a mini pumper and a tanker

Barbourville Firemen built mini pumper and tanker; new trucks put into service

New Tanker: 1987 Ford F-700/1200 gallon Tanker (designated Truck #6)

New Mini Pumper: 1987 Ford F-350 4x4 Mini Pumper (designated Truck #7)

1988

Purchased Pierce/Dash Custom Pumper (designated Truck #8)

Firemen respond to 41 brush fire calls in four days

1989

Barbourville Firemens' Club paid note for truck chassis and construction of two trucks

Flaming Tip Steak House burned

1990

Fire Station #2 was built on Cumberland Avenue

Barbourville High School building destroyed by fire

Cal's Pizza Corner burned

1991

Businesses in downtown Pineville burned (Mutual Aid to Pineville FD)

1992

Strong's Machine Shop burned

Purchased used high-cube van to replace truck #3

1996

Purchased International/Pierce pumper (designated Truck #2)

1953 Chevrolet/Central pumper truck retired and sold (old Truck #2)

Firemens' Club purchased Summit 2000 gallon Tanker/Pumper (designated Truck #6)

1200 gallon tanker sold (old Truck #6)

1998

1951 Ford/Oren pumper truck retired and sold (Truck #1)

First Assistant Chief John Tom King died

Second Assistant Chief Hank Melton was appointed First Assistant Chief

Captain John Tye was appointed Second Assistant Chief

1999

Smith Carroll and John Tom King inducted into the Southeastern Kentucky Firefighters Hall of Fame

2000

Chief Jim Tye inducted into the Southeastern Kentucky Firefighters Hall of Fame

2001

Firemens' Club built a Ford F-550 Mini Pumper (designated Truck #9)

Sizemore's Hardware in Pineville burned (Mutual Aid to Pineville FD)

Barbourville firemen and others organize Appalachian Foothills Fire Historical Society

Second Assistant Chief John Tye died

Captain Doug Dozier was appointed Second Assistant Chief

2002

Major flooding on the Cumberland River (Crested at 38.5 feet)

Firemens' Club restored Truck #5 to showroom quality and won "BEST OF SHOW" at the Appalachian Foothills Fire Muster

John Tye inducted into the Southeastern Kentucky Firefighters Hall of Fame

2008

Truck #9 is sold to a mining company in Canada.

2009

Purchased International/Summit midi pumper (designated Rescue 3)

This page was created by members of the Barbourville (KY) Firemens' Club for your education and enjoyment.

Back to the BFD History

 

Created: October 19, 2002

Last Modified: June 9, 2009